Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 10 Monday June 15 Sumpter to Baker City: 31 miles

A Rest Day We had an easy day. Mostly downhill or flat and mostly dry. Our campsite has a hot tub. We need to plan our next week carefully as towns and campsites are far apart. Baker City is so flat people ride beach cruisers around town.A few thoughts/words/musings from Frank Beware of people telling you that it is all downhill from here, also at sometime during the day there will be a head wind which is worse than going up a steep hill. It is a treat to get all the gear off your bike and go for a ride around the town. PS If you don't hear from us for a day or two it is because we are probably out of WiFi and cell phone areas.

6 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your mini-travelogues as you progress along.
    Jean D. and I rode 17 miles one day last week and thought we were medal winners.
    Keep pedaling.
    My MD told me I should ride in low gears and have 60 - 90 revolutions per minute. I thought she was nuts, but it worked well for me. I'm not sure if she was referring to regular bikes or my 3-wheeled recumbent.
    Clear roads and cool temperatures to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Headwinds are much worse than hills, especially gusting headwinds. I seem to remember from my time in KS that the prevailing winds were from the west. If that's true then you should have nice tailwinds for a lot of your ride throught the midwest. Tailwinds are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are starting another day as usual. Darrell is off to work, I am trying to figure out what to wear to work. Riding X country sure is alot more exciting!.You and Frank are amazing!Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm updateing the google map as soon as you post - it's awesome to see the terrain you all are riding through.
    Dan's right: PICTURES! And good tailwinds across the midwest.

    It's raining here today - steady and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our parlance, a "rest day" means no biking! Spend the day in that nice hot tob, read a book, whatever! What is your average MPH by the way? Do you need to change the name of your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering if there were any of those portly guys in leathers left in Baker City????

    ReplyDelete